Can I charge interest on my director’s loan account?

Can I charge interest on my director's loan account?

Can I charge interest on my director’s loan account?

Yes, and it could be a great tax planning/saving tip to consider!

Many companies will require investment from the directors at some point, whether it’s for the initial start up costs, to fund a purchase of machinery or purely for working capital during difficult periods.

If this is the case, the good news is you are able to charge the company interest on any money you have paid in from personal funds that has yet to be repaid (your director’s loan account).

The rate of interest charged must be deemed to be a commercial or market rate. We have recently been applying up to 10% as we see this as being a reasonable rate that third party lenders would charge for an unsecured loan.

If you are on a director’s salary of around £732 a month, depending on your other income, you could earn around £9,700 in interest without paying any tax at all!

When paying the interest to the director, the company must deduct basic rate tax at 20% and pay this to HMRC, together with completing a CT61 form (don’t worry, we can take care of this for you).

Another positive is that the interest paid by the company is a tax deductible expense, consequently reducing the company’s Corporation Tax bill too.

This, however, is providing the company doesn’t already have high cash balances not earmarked for particular bills or projects.

To formalise the interest charge, a brief loan agreement should also be drafted between the company and the director, confirming the rate to be charged.

We charge a fee of £80 plus VAT to prepare and file the CT61 form on behalf of the company, but this is far outweighed by the potential tax savings that can be achieved.

So if you’ve been wondering, can I charge interest on my director’s loan account?

Get in touch with us and we can quantify the tax you could be saving by doing so.